Marvel’s The Avengers Enter Walmart Stores Digitally
In advance of the film release of Marvel’s The Avengers on May 4, Walmart customers will have access to the Super Hero Augmented Reality (AR) game featuring their favorite Avengers, including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow.
This new “Super Hero AR” app is available now for download at the iTunes App Store and Android Market. Once downloaded, customers have instant access to Hawkeye, and only from the aisles of their local Walmart stores, customers can then “unlock” the superpowers of the five remaining Avengers and ultimately save the world.[ Also Read: How an Augmented Reality Wall Keeps You Connected ]
Thus, Walmart’s tryst with the film world continues. Recently, the company partnered with Hollywood to increase the value of movie ownership with anytime access to DVDs. It says it is giving physical DVD/Blu-ray collections a second life by turning them into digital movies. (Read: Walmart Enters Hollywood with Disc-to-Digital Service)
Earlier, Disney twenty-three magazine decided to devote three collectible covers for Marvel’s The Avengers. That’s what D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has planned for the summer issue, which is available on May 1. (Read: Avengers on Disney’s D23 Magazine Covers)
“Walmart is bringing this summer’s most anticipated blockbuster into stores through a first-of-its-kind augmented reality experience which bridges the gap between the physical store and mobile gaming,” said Seong Ohm, senior vice president and general merchandise manager for entertainment, Walmart U.S.
“We’re committed to creating engaging and fun experiences at Walmart, and we’ve tapped different areas of the store for movie fans to interact with the mobile app while shopping the more than 600 Marvel’s The Avengers merchandise available.”[ Also Read: Games that People Play on Digital Playgrounds ]
Customers can use “Super Hero AR” in two modes, Game Mode and Photo Capture Mode. Here is how it works:
Game Mode: Collect All Six Superpowers and Save the World
- Download the “Super Hero AR” App from the iTunes App Store or Android Market that also includes instant access to Hawkeye and his superpowers;
- Visit a local Walmart with your enabled smart device;
- Seek out specific images on Marvel’s The Avengers signage located in various departments around the store including apparel, grocery, toys and wireless;
- Aim your smart devices at the target image to unlock each Super Hero’s power;
- Collect the powers of the five remaining Avengers and get a chance to defeat Loki and win the game.
Photo Capture Mode (available for iOS and Android): Take a Photo with Your Favorite Avenger
- Activate “photo capture mode” from an Marvel’s The Avengers DVD pallet in-store; a 3-D model of the Super Hero depicted on the DVD pallet will become visible on your phone;
- Take a photo with your favorite Avenger;
- Share it with friends on Facebook or via email.
Fans will have another shot at bringing both Black Widow and Hawkeye to life. They can either visit www.walmart.com/TheAvengers and look for an image of Black Widow to bring her to life, or find a Hawkeye image in the April 29th Walmart newspaper circular and utilize the “Super Hero AR” app to activate the feature.
In addition, beginning today, April 26, T-Mobile representatives will help customers navigate the terrain and unlock each Super Hero’s power, bringing them one step closer to defeating Loki, and saving the world in the final level of the game.
In select stores, the grocery section will also offer shoppers food and beverage samples of Avengers-themed products such as Dr. Pepper, Red Baron Pizza and Hershey’s chocolate candies.
Photo courtesy: Walmart