Tech company Dell has unveiled Cloud Client Computing for Retail, its first end-to-end cloud solution specifically designed to enable retailers to seamlessly move to an in-store cloud environment.
The offering addresses endpoint devices, networking, security, virtualization, infrastructure, management tools and services to help retailers realize cloud-related benefits such as increased efficiency and cost savings in a Dell-designed Cloud Client Computing solution that is customizable to each retailerâ€™s unique environment and needs, says the company.
The solution allows retailers to simplify store system hardware by hosting and managing complex point-of-sale (POS) and inventory systems centrally in the store or in the cloud.
Dell can handle every aspect of the transition, eliminating the time-consuming and costly process of piecing together products and services from various vendors, as many retailers do currently, according to the company.
The new offering is made up of three modules:
- Thin and mobile endpoints with and without POS peripherals;
- On premise desktop virtualization infrastructure; and,
- Cloud based desktop virtualization infrastructure.
According to the company, the full solution will be released in three phases:
- March 4, 2013: POS, kiosk and back office systems to be supported with on-premise or retailer-hosted cloud infrastructure
- Summer 2013: Additional store systems to be supported including digital signage and surveillance hardware
- Fall 2013: Option available for store systems to be supported by Dell-hosted cloud infrastructure
Dell Retail is currently accepting proof-of-concept requests for the Cloud Client Computing for Retail solution.