Mobile PBX Offering for Smartphones and Tablets
Cloud communications and computing solutions provider 8×8, Inc. (Nasdaq:EGHT) has announced a new version of its Virtual Office mobile PBX offering compatible with the leading smartphones and tablets in today’s business environments.
Available immediately for iOS and in the fourth quarter of 2012 for Android devices, Virtual Office Mobile 4.0 offers the same voice, video and PBX benefits of 8×8’s cloud-based Virtual Office suite and adds an enhanced, feature-rich user interface designed to take full advantage of the iPhone’s and iPad’s Retina display.
“With Virtual Office Mobile 4.0, workers will now have a single voice and video softphone solution that works across all iOS devices, with no tradeoffs in call quality and user experience,” said 8×8 chairman & CEO Bryan Martin.
“Virtual Office Mobile empowers business communications by extending the features and conveniences of office calling and collaboration to hotel rooms, airport lounges, customer sites and all of the other places where businesspeople work.”
With Virtual Office Mobile 4.0, business users can:
- Take their office extensions anywhere, minimizing phone tag while maximizing productivity and responsiveness to customers and business partners.
- Conduct voice and video calls over 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi, including free international calling from Wi-Fi hot spots.
- Enjoy better call quality over Wi-Fi and 3G/4G/LTE, even under low-bandwidth connections, using new advanced compression technology that requires half the bandwidth of the previous version and does not impact audio quality.
- Record calls on demand, freeing them to focus on the conversation rather than taking notes.
- Access PBX features such as call transfer, conference bridging and directories.
- See the status of co-workers (available, busy/on a call or Virtual Meeting or offline) and send instant messages.
- View incoming faxes.
- Display business voice mails in a scrollable list, allowing users to listen to and delete messages in any order.
- Have outbound calls appear with the caller ID of their office numbers to protect the privacy of their mobile numbers and minimize the need for multiple numbers and mailboxes.
- Park a call and then pick it up on their office desk phone.
- Test call quality before initiating calls, eliminating annoyances and wasted time.
According to the company, Virtual Office Mobile is ideal for businesses with a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policy because it eliminates the cost and hassle of platform fragmentation by providing a single solution that works across the business world’s most widely used mobile devices.