The popular Angry Birds have landed at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for a new mission in space, revealed NASA Friday.
Angry Birds Space Encounter, an interactive Angry Birds attraction in the United States designed for people of all ages, opened Friday at the Visitor Complex.
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex partnered with Rovio Entertainment, creator of the Angry Birds franchise, including Angry Birds Space, to bring the beloved characters to life.
“Angry Birds Space Encounter is both a fun and educational experience,” said Bill Moore, chief operating officer of Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, which operates the popular destination on Florida’s Space Coast for NASA.
The 4,485-square-foot Angry Birds Space Encounter, which is included in regular Visitor Complex admission, brings to life the space adventures of the Angry Birds as they follow their kidnapped eggs into an inter-galactic wormhole, come face-to-face with Space Pigs and gear up with heroic superpowers.
Visitors encounter six interactive stations designed to engage and immerse guests in a new dimension of Angry Birds Space:
- Create Your Own Angry Bird – Red, green, blue or purple – Guests create their own Angry Bird by choosing from an array of body styles and accessories. When the bird is complete, guests can print their bird as a keepsake.
- Eggsteroids Slingshot – Guests take their best shot – slingshot, that is – at King Pig and Corporal Pig, competing with fellow players using mini Angry Birds launched in a slingshot to zap the Space Pigs.
- Cold Cuts Tile Puzzle – Guests line up a universe of planets and Angry Birds to solve sliding puzzles, with three levels of difficulty, featuring images of Super Red, Ice Bird, The Incredible Terence and Space King, Pig in a Bubble.
- Danger Zone – The Danger Zone features a mirrored labyrinth challenge to find the hidden Angry Birds. Guests discover surprises along the way.
- Red Planet Lazer Challenge – The Angry Birds need help finding their prized golden eggs! Guests journey to the surface of the Red Planet to search for the mythical eggs but need to watch out for lazer beams that create obstacles along the course, making the mission more difficult.
- Angry Birds Game Zone – Guests can play the actual Angry Birds Space game in a tournament against fellow guests, mastering selected levels and discovering little known hints to zap the pigs.
Entertainment Design Group Inc. of Austell, Ga., developed, built and installed the Angry Birds Space Encounter at the Visitor Complex under the direction of NASA and Delaware North.
The opening of Angry Birds Space Encounter comes a few months before the Visitor Complex will celebrate the grand opening of the new $100 million home of Space Shuttle Atlantis June 29.