As America prepares for Super Bowl XLVII, new research from a protection plan provider SquareTrade reveals 23 million Americans have damaged their cell phone or tablet while caught up in the passion of a sporting event.
With the action expected to be fast and furious this Sunday, SquareTrade is urging all fans to take extra care with their devices to avoid some of the most common spectator mishaps.
According to the study, Ravens fans are most at risk for a fumble, showing themselves to be 14% clumsier than 49ers fans. And 27% of Ravens fans have had a cell phone accident in the past 12 months compared to just 23% for those rooting for the 49ers.
The top 5 sporting spectator gadget accidents revealed by the SquareTrade survey are:
1) The standard drop: device dropped from hand – 33%
2) Liquid drops: most common of which are toilet drops, sweat and water spills – 18%
3) Beer drops – devices dropped in beer –13%
4) Passion drops: devices thrown in anger or excitement –12%
5) Bar drop: devices falling from a bar or table – 8%
“Given the tweeting, texting and photographing in arenas, stadiums, living rooms and local sports bars across the nation, we weren’t surprised to learn that one in ten Americans has damaged their phone during a game,” commented Ty Shay , SquareTrade’s chief marketing officer.
“But the prevalence of Passion and Beer Drops caught us by surprise, and speaks volumes about the passion Americans have for football and other sports.”
To boost fans’ device defense, SquareTrade offers the following tips for an accident free Super Bowl:
1) Keep your phone at hand but not in hand – like the precious TV remote find a place that is close to the couch and easy to find
2) Count to ten after all suspect calls or player mistakes
3) Never use or take your device to the bathroom
4) Consider using hands-free beer hat dispensers
5) Protect your phone and promote your team with football phone covers
For those not heeding this advice, help is still at hand. If you experience a Super Bowl phone fumble, share your story at the SquareTrade Facebook page to win a chance to receive a replacement device: http://www.facebook.com/SquareTrade
SquareTrade works with leading online and in-store retailers to offer technology protection plans to protect consumer electronics and appliances including smartphones, tablets, laptops, televisions, video game consoles, and digital cameras.