Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Monday that eight distinct scientific and technical investigations have been launched for the 2018 Oscars.
These investigations are made public so individuals and companies with devices or claims of innovation within these areas will have the opportunity to submit achievements for review.
The deadline to submit additional entries is Wednesday, July 18, at 5 p.m. PT. The Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards Committee has started investigations into the following areas:
- Systems for the creation of motion graphics for motion picture content
- Remote, distributed, secure and collaborative review frameworks of dailies and sequences
- 2D, multi-layer, raster, image editing and digital paint systems used in motion picture production
- Dense-mesh accurate animated facial geometry capture
- Texture layout toolsets
- Efficient, sequence-based paint and rotoscoping toolsets
- Capture of facial appearance for photorealistic rendering
- Lavalier microphones widely used in motion picture production
After thorough investigations are conducted in each of the technology categories, the committee will meet in the fall to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2018 Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation will be held on Saturday, February 9, 2019.
The 91st Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT.
The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.